Tips for Visiting Harley Farms Goat Dairy (Pescadero, California)
One of our all time favorite Bay Area day trips is a visit to Harley Farms Goat Dairy in beautiful Pescadero, California. Tucked inland off Highway 1 between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz, it offers a great plan to visit some adorable animals, have a picnic or lunch and shop for products made with goat’s milk.
Harley Farms Goat Dairy is located at 205 North Street, Pescadero, California 94060. Free parking in a dirt lot adjacent to their facility.
They are open daily from 11am – 4pm (farm & shop) except for major holidays (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year’s Day).
There is no cost for admission, however, there is the farm shop and on-site experiences/tours (bookable in advance) to allow you to support this small business.
When to Go:
The farm is great to visit anytime of year but, our personal favorite is late winter/early spring when the baby goats are born. They even have a “baby goat count” on their website to let visitors know what to expect. Due to the proximity to the ocean, the weather tends to be a bit cooler and breezier. It can be a sunny day but there will likely be a slight chill. The rainy season is also a suitable time to visit but definitely wear some sturdy rubber boots for the mud puddles!
What To Do:
Topping the list of our favorite things to do at Harley Farms Goat Dairy is visiting with the friendly resident goats.
If you’d like to spend more time at the property, consider taking advantage of one of their unique experiences.
- Farm Tour – for those who want to get the whole farm experience, consider booking the 90 minute farm tour. You will get to visit the animals, explore the orchard and learn about where food comes from on this guided tour. The walk is about one mile on uneven ground. This tour is suited for adults and older children as it is a slower pace. Max of 10 people per tour and masks are required. $55 per person.
- Family Tour – if you have little ones (under age 10), the family tour is the better option. This will involve less walking, more playtime and some delicious cheese tastings. $55 per person (children in arms are free).
- Scones by the Pond – this is our go to! Enjoy a picnic table by the pond and some delicious, warm Yorkshire scones served with butter, cheese, fruit and other goodies. Also comes with a choice of coffee or tea. Serves 2 but can be booked for 3. We found the servings to be pretty generous. Our kids were too busy visiting goats and running in the grass to eat so a 2 person serving was adequate for our family of 5 (younger kids). I would definitely order more servings for older kids or more adults. Offered at 10am on Saturdays and Sundays. $125 per table (2 servings).
- Secret Garden Lunch – not currently offered but a treat for all. A multi-course meal served in the beautiful gardens that are not normally open to the public. We got a sneak peak last time and it was a magical spot.
Tips for Booking
My advice to anyone who wants to visit and do either a tour or a picnic is to book ahead on the Harley Farms Goat Dairy website. Typically, I find that you need to plan 3-4 weeks in advance for weekend options. You can, however, sometimes catch a last minute spot if there has been a cancellation (often advertised on their social media pages – Facebook and Instagram).
This is a really fun outing to do with family or friends. For the picnic, you can request to share a picnic table with another group but book/pay separately.
Need more Northern California travel ideas? Check out 7 Northern California Destinations for your Summer Family Road Trip.
Other Things To Do in the Area
You can realistically spend an hour or two at the farm. Since it is a considerable drive from most places, it is definitely worth checking out some of the other things to do in the area:
- Half Moon Bay (Main Street in town and the many beaches)
- Bean Hollow State Beach
- Pigeon Point Light Station State Historic Park – great place for a quick stop to explore. In spring, there are usually some break wildflower blooms in the vicinity.
- Berry picking (seasonal) at Swanton Berry Farm
- Fruit stands such as Pie Ranch
- Waddell Beach and the Rancho Del Oso State Park (coastal portion of Big Basin Redwoods State Park) across the street – currently closed, but there is a Skyline-To-The-Sea Trail (29.5 miles hike from a ridge in the Santa Cruz Mountains to the Pacific Ocean)
Harley Farms Goat Dairy is a fantastic spot to have a family outing, meet friends or just quickly stop at on the way to the beach. Whatever the duration of your visit, have fun with some friendly animals, pick-up some items from the shop and enjoy the tranquility of this magical little spot.